Internet and e-mail policy and practice
including Notes on Internet E-mail
Click the comments link on any
story to see comments or add your own.
Subscribe to this blog
Home :: Email
17 Sep 2010
I'm working on a project to build a high quality online spam law archive.
Finding the statutes is easy enough, but in the US you need case law
So what are the most important spam related court decisions?
Ones that occur to me include:
- Gordon v. Virtumundo (9th circuit sets very high bar to CAN SPAM standing)
- Omega World v. Mummagraphics (falsity must be material)
- White Buffalo Ventures v. University of Texas at Austin (OK per 1st amendment
for government to filter when acting as ISP rather than regulator)
- Intel v. Hamidi (spam is not trespass without real damages)
- Asis v. Optin Global/Azoogle (courts don't like sloppy serial plaintiffs)
- Pallorium v. Jared (CDA protects anti-spam blacklists, state court
- e360 v. Comcast (CDA protects spam filtering in general, federal court)
- Cyberpromo v. AOL (old, but still the case that says there's no 1st
amendment right to have e-mail delivered)
What else should I include?
Stable link is https://jl.ly/Email/spamcases.html
My other sites
Who is this guy?
Airline ticket info
Experian gets a slap on the wrist
106 days ago
A keen grasp of the obvious
Italian Apple Cake
442 days ago
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail
Network Abuse Clearinghouse
© 2005-2020 John R. Levine.
CAN SPAM address harvesting notice: the operator of this website will
not give, sell, or otherwise transfer addresses maintained by this
website to any other party for the purposes of initiating, or enabling
others to initiate, electronic mail messages.